Following its ancient agricultural vocation, Blera is home to the Agricultural University, which manages land, woodland, arable land and pastures for an area of over 3.500 hectares.
The Agricultural University of Blera dates back to the pontificate of Paul II, who in 1465 granted the Biedans the right to sow on papal lands with the obligation to pay the thirteenth part of the harvest to the Apostolic Chamber, that is to the papal state, with the free right to grazing and harvesting acorns.
To regulate the exercise of these rights, the Biedans established a company, originally called “Società dei Massari”.
The birth of the Agricultural University of Blera is due to this company.
Today the University is an independent non-economic body governed by public law, which represents all the citizens of the Municipality of Blera in the matter of exercising civic uses on land owned by the state property.